The International Steam Pages
The Frankfurter Feldbahn Museum, 2015
For other reports on the FFM see:
Thomas Kautzor writes - For more pictures see http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?108,7415220.
On 15th - 17th May 2015, the Frankfurter Feldbahnmuseum e.V. (FFM, http://www.feldbahn-ffm.de/) was celebrating its 40th Anniversary. On Friday afternoon a photo session was well-attended by railfans, including visitors from Switzerland, France, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, the U.K., the U.S. and Japan.
Quite a sensation for many visitors, the “surprise gift” to the FFM for the anniversary was this 1906 Deutz underground locomotive (type C V No. 320), the 2nd oldest preserved Deutz on earth. It was built for display at the Saxon Provincial Exhibition (“Sächsische Landes-Ausstellung”) in Zwickau, after which it went into the collection of the German Museum in Munich. It is unclear if it was ever on exhibit at the museum as early records have been destroyed, but since at least 1935 it has been in storage in the depot there. It has now been given on loan to FFM. It still has its original livery, as well as the plates it carried during the 1906 exhibition.
Two steam locomotives were visiting Frankfurt specially for the occasion, the most impressive being PKP 0-8-0 Px38-805 (Chrzanow 727/1938) and its crew from the Znin Narrow Gauge Railway in Poland. From Frankfurt it was scheduled to go to the Berlin Park Railway for MERAPI’s 90th anniversary celebrations on 13/14th June 2015 before returning to Znin for the upcoming summer season.
A total of seven steam locomotives were in use during the event, this being FFM 0-4-0WT No. 6 (Henschel FABIA 24011/1939, ex Heeresfeldbahn 5026) which was used during construction of the Nürnberg-Munich motorway after WWII.
Also visiting, this time from the Czech Republic, was the replica OK 40hp 0-6-0WT built at the 1. Kolinska Locomotive Factory in 2014.
Japanese Military Railway 0-10-0T E103 (OK 11073/1925, 90hp), which had been returned to service last summer, was also in use.
Making its public debut at the event was the FFM largest locomotive, freshly-restored FFM 0-6-0 No. 11 (Jung 10137/1952, 110hp). This World War II HF110C-type locomotive (designed for use on the Eastern Front) was assembled from 1944-built parts left behind at the Jung works after WWII for export to India together with Jung 10142. There both locomotives worked at the Orissa Cement Ltd. factory in Rairangpur (Orissa State) as No. 2 and 1 until 1982 and 1986. In 1988 both locomotives were bought by the FFM. No. 10142 was sold to “Stiftung deutsche Kleinbahnen (SdK)” in 2012 to be restored for use on the newly-opened 600mm gauge line from Klütz to Reppenhagen in Mecklenburg Vorpommern. As No. 11 was never a Heeresfeldbahn locomotive, no HF markings have and will be applied to it.
The visiting horse had an easy task hauling this single bogie wagon.
Visiting from Ilmenau in Thuringia was Peter Erk’s freshly-restored Deutz type “Köln” four-wheel diesel (Deutz A3M220 F 17134/1936, ex Feld- und Eisenbahnmaterial Eilers KG (dealer), Hamburg-Wandsbeck).
Mecklenburg-Pommersche-Schmalspurbahn (MPSB) 0-6-2 No. 1 (2nd) JACOBI / DR 99 3351 FFM 14 (Jung 989/1906) with the two Bulgarian BDZ coaches C60f 106 and 105. Bought from East Germany by the Mohun Steam Museum in California in 1973, it stayed in the U.S. (later at Hesston in Indiana and South Carver in Massachussets) until it was bought by a member of the FFM in 1998 and restored to working order.
World War I Heeresfeldbahn (HF) 0-8-0T Brigadelok No. 312 / FFM No. 8 (Borsig 8836/1914, ex DR Waldeisenbahn Muskau 99 3313) and matching water tender HF No. 426 (Borsig 9344/1915).
Together with a number of smaller diesel and battery locomotives, FFM’s bogie freight dieselhydraulic railcar No. 23 (DIEMA GT 10/2 3311/1973, ex Becher brickworks in Niederbrechen near Limburg) also made an appearance.
Currently under restoration is ex-U.S. Army Baldwin 50HP 0-4-0PM No. B1 (Baldwin 49581/1918). After WWI it worked at the Romorantin Air Base, where it ended up on a plinth. It was later acquired by a private owner near Jarnac and was traded for another locomotive with APPEVA in 1998.
A recent arrival from the U.S., FFM 0-4-0WT No. 17 (Krauss type XXVIIcx 7656/1921) worked on Bavarian forestry railways at Spiegelau and Oberzwieslau until 1958, after which it was exported to the U.S. There it worked at the Big Bear Farm in Dyberry Townshipo near Honesdale, Pennsylvania from c1980 until 2008 as No. 8 MARCIA. In 2011 it purchased by a member of the FFM and taken to the Bucksgahuda & Western RR in St. Mary’s, PA, for storage until being brought back to Germany in June 2014. It is now awaiting restoration.
The wheels of FFM 0-4+4-0T Mallet No. 13 (OK 3902/1909, 1997 ex P.G. Gending No. 4, Java, Indonesia) have been sent to MaLoWa in Klostermansfeld to receive new tyres. Although they were expected back before Easter, they have not been returned so far.
In the evening, after a barbecue for participants, a night photo session took place at the museum. The photos shows Px38-805 and E103 in front of locomotive shed No. 2 and HF 312 and MPSB 1” at the coaling and watering facility.