The International Steam Pages
Steam in Southern China, May 1999
Rick Wong has sent me the latest news on tha San Mao railway (16th May 1999:)
"Well, Sanmao steam hasn't completely gone as I wrote earlier. And it must be the Sanmao management having a joke to Jon when they met earlier.
Mr Duncan Peattie visited Sanmao a week earlier and he sent me the latest timetable and the latest situation. Basically, the situation wasn't as bad as originally described. However, one thing for sure, the Sanmao steam will be vanished by the end of Summer. Go to Sanmao now as this may be your last chance to see QJ steam operating at Southern China.
Latest situation/sightings provided by Duncan:
*Sanmao timetable has changed again after Easter holiday.
· Travelling time on #691/692 Guangzhou - Zhaoqing service has been cut
more than 2 hours to just 5 hours. You can now reach Maoming Dong before 3pm.
· Approx 16 coaches Chongqing bound pax were seen hauled by QJ3554
· Majority of freight are now diesel. DF4 7633-7637 and other 76xx series
· QJ1167 still pilot at Zhaoqing station
· A QJ was seen shunted at Sanshui
· Couple QJs seen at sidings along Sanmao line.
· A hotel next to Zhaoqing railway cross now provides with remote air-cond/TV controls
Thank you Duncan bringing all the latest news on Sanmao. Can any one keep me update with the Sanmao situation? Thanks a lot.
I am thinking to have a last fling to Sanmao about mid-June (during Dragon Boat Festival long weekend), anyone interested?"